It's the weekend of the Antigonish Highland Games. I ran the kick-off 5 miler on Friday (excellent idea to get the fire fighters to spray the runners), took part in the Grand Street Parade, waving to the town of Antigonish with all the Diploma participants yesterday (I have never in my life heard so much bag-piping), and admired the big burly men in kilts today. My favourite event was the 15-minute Tug-o-War! It was amazing to see the strategies they used, how coordinated the young men were, and how crazy the coaches can be! =)
I leave for Peru tomorrow morning. I am scared and anxious yet excited and hopeful. We'll see where the road takes me from here. =) Wish me luck!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Santy, good luck on your latest adventure. I don't really know what you are doing there, but since you are already there, all I can say is I hope seeing other people live, their culture, rich or poor, will make you grow and appreciate what you have back home.
I don't know much about Peru, other than from what other cruisers tell me. Be careful, and use common sense - you will be okay. I can't help it, but I must give you the usual warnings:
A high number of robberies have been reported. The use or purchase of drugs is severely punished and can lead to 15 years' imprisonment. There have been reports of the planting of drugs on foreigners by police followed by demands for high sums of money for the charges to be dropped. Ensure your bags are locked tight, specially the side zippers. Drugs have been planted in there so you can be accused of smuggling. When you order drinks, watch your glass at all times. If you have to go to the washroom, order another drink when you come back.
Be very wary of pickpockets, especially in crowded areas, they can be very slick, particularly with their distraction techniques.
Travel in groups.
I know the media over exaggerate circumstances, that I know firsthand. But it can happen only once to you and you are in big shit. So take care, keep low key and be street smart.
Sa-ko
Hey sam!
saw you on the 24 newspaper on the bus. good job!! congratulations!! i hope you have a safe and experiential (if that's a word) time there!
Post a Comment